study in

Wales101 - Studying in Wales




Foreign Students Wishing to Study in the UK

Author: Carolyn Clayton

The amount of foreign students currently studying in Britain is now nearly 1 million. The British government puts a high value on foreign students is doing all it can to attract these students away from other competing educational institutes in other countries. UK universities are renowned for their high academic standards and this reputation is the reason why the UK is the first choice for foreign students. UK Universities are always being evaluated by professional bodies to ensure their teaching is of the highest standards.

Compared to other countries British universities offer value for money. This is due to the time it takes to complete a degree. Typically a degree is spread of very three years rather than four and most masters degree programs can be completed in one year. This makes UK universities very cost effective compared to other countries. The UK also has many financial aid and scholarships with make it possible for many foreign students to enter these educational institutes.

Another incentive of studying in the UK is the UK health care system. Foreign students studying in England, Northern Island, Scotland and Wales on a full time course are entitled to free medical treatment.
If you are a student wishing to immigrate to the UK then you could enter the country on a student visa and once your course is completed you could switch to another immigration service like a work permit visa without having to leave the UK. You will need certain circumstances to be eligible for student visa. You either need to prove you have been accepted on a course at a public funding institution like a university, a private education institute or an independent fee-paying school. Also you have to prove you intent to attend a recognised full time degree course, a weekday course with at least 15 hours of daytime study a week or a full time course at an independent fee paying school. All the costs of your accommodation and the fees of you course will have to be paid for by yourself and not by any public funds.

If you wish to study on a short course of about six months you could possible enter the UK with a tourist visa or visit visa. The difference between entering the UK on a student visa compared to a tourist visa is that with a student visa you will be able to work for 20 hours a week during term time and 40 hours a week during holidays but with a tourist of visa you won't. You can also apply for a student visa as a prospective student.

Student visa are normally granted for an initial period of one year but they can also take into consideration the length of the course you intend to study on. You really need to ensure your visa covers the whole of your study period as it is quite common for student visas to expire during your stay which can cause lots of problems. However the UK has a good visa service that ensures any renewal happens in the fastest possible time so it has minimum effect on the student. Regardless of this fact it really is important to find out in advance how long the course is and tell the immigration officials so your visa can last the entire time.

Once you have secured your student visa, the rest is down to you. With a bit of hard work and endurance you will be in a great position at the end of your course. You will be able to go back to your country and earn some good money and be the envy of many.

About the Author:

Carolyn is the webmaster of Immigration Consult, experts in dealing with applications to enter the UK under a UK Student Visa.

Article Source: - Foreign Students Wishing to Study in the UK